Substance abuse disorders can cause profound harm well beyond the scope of the addict’s life. This training will help you understand the effects of addiction and how it causes emotional and psychological stress on workers, family members, and significant others.
You will learn:
- What goes on in the addictive brain
- The role traumatic experiences play in addiction
- Effective communication styles when dealing with an addictive personality
- Inter-generational influences on addiction
- How not to get caught in the cycles of enabling and codependency
- How to set appropriate and effective boundaries
- The importance of assessment through Prokaska and DiClemente’s Stages of Change.
Our qualified counsellors and therapists facilitate a constructive learning environment conducive to thoughtful, respectful, and caring interactions.
Content of this workshop includes educational activities related to addictive illness, attachment, detachment, enabling, self-care, 12-step philosophies, family and relational dynamics, codependency, triggers, Adult Children of Alcoholics (ACOA) issues and coping strategies.
After completing the workshop, you will have a better understanding of addiction, how to more appropriately support those in your care, and how to utilize this comprehensive tool box of resources.